Allergens – GMOs
Molecular-biological and immunological methods are becoming increasingly important in the analysis of food and feed. Using cutting edge equipment and reliable methods, the well-trained staff of Q&Q Analysis is able to detect allergens and genetically modified organisms on a variety of food and feed substrates.
Genetically modified raw materials, as well as foods produced based on them, are subject to a strict regime, as they must meet certain legal requirements. Importers and sellers are required to label foods containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Q&Q Analysis ensures qualitative and quantitative determination of GMOs in foods using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technology.
The following can be detected:
- Detection of CaMV 35S & NOS terminator
- CTP2-CP4EPSPS Detection (ROUNDUP READY II)
- Quantification of the CaMV 35S promoter
- ROUNDUP READY quantification (GTS-40-3-2)
- Soy DNA detection
Most food allergens are proteins found in food which can trigger an immune response in allergic individuals when the body’s immune system mistakenly identifies a protein as harmful. Recent studies found that 1-5% of the total population in Europe has clinically proven allergy to one or more of the following:
- Cereals containing gluten,
- Crustaceans and products there of
- Eggs and products thereof
- Fish and products thereof
- Peanuts and products thereof
- Soybeans and products thereof,
- Milk and products thereof (including lactose),
- Nuts, namely: almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio nuts, macadamia or Queensland nuts, and products thereof
- Celery and products thereof
- Mustard and products thereof
- Sesame seeds and products thereof
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites at concentrations of more than 10 mg/kg or 10 mg/litre
- Lupin and products thereof
- Molluscs and products thereof.
At the end of 2014, European Food Information for Consumers Regulations (EU FIC) came into effect that required food producers to make changes to labeling on both pre-packed and loosely sold food to emphasize 14 allergens when used as ingredients.
Q&Q Analysis can help you to control and manage allergens within your manufacturing facilities, with immunological techniques with low detection limit.
For any additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.